Saratoga Rural Preservation Co.
(518) 885-0091
Join us on Facebook
Helping Veterans Find Employment & Housing
Donate Now!

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is eligible for a Section 8 Voucher?

Eligibility for a housing voucher is determined based on the household’s annual gross income and the PHA’s definition of a family. Participation is limited to U.S. citizens and specified categories of non-citizens who have eligible immigration status. In general, the family’s income may not exceed 50% of the median income for the county or metropolitan area in which the family chooses to live. [By law, a PHA must provide 75 percent of its vouchers to applicants whose incomes do not exceed 30 percent of the area median income.] Median income levels are published annually by HUD and vary by location within the state.

How do I apply?

You may apply online or request an application from our office. The wait list for the Saratoga County Section 8 program is currently closed. The Town of Wilton Section 8 program is open for accepting applications.

How long am I on a wait list?

Unfortunately the need for Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers far exceeds their availability. Currently all the vouchers allocated are in use, and we are not issuing any new vouchers. If and when vouchers become available, we will begin selecting applicants who applied from the waiting list. Our office has no time frame as to how long a current voucher is used, therefor making it undeterminable as to when a voucher will become available. Placement on the waiting list does not mean you are eligible for the HCV program. Certification of your eligibility will be done when your name comes to the top of the list.

What if I move while on the Wait List?

Be sure to let our office know in writing if you move while you are on the waiting list. If your name does come to the top of the list for possible issuance of a voucher and we cannot locate you, your name will be removed from the list.

What happens when I am chosen for a Section 8 Voucher?

Once your name reaches the top of the waiting list, you will be notified by mail. Your income and housing status must be updated at this time to determine eligibility. If you are eligible you will be required to attend a briefing meeting, where the program is explained in its entirety. A voucher will be issued at this time, based on the bedroom size for which your family qualifies as determined by updated information on your application. Once the voucher is issued, you have 60 days to find a place to rent.

How much rent will I have to pay?

At the briefing, you will learn how the amount of your rental subsidy is calculated based on the Applicable Payment Standard (APS). The APS is set by HUD and the amounts differ depending on how many bedrooms your family needs. You can choose a unit with a rent that is above or below the payment standard. You must pay 30% of your monthly adjusted gross income for rent and utilities. (a utility allowance determined by HUD would be used to determine an estimated amount of utility payments the family must pay based on the information that is indicated on the ‘Request for Tenancy Approval” form that the Owner/Agent filled out). By law, however, a family that moves into a new unit cannot pay more than 40% of its adjusted monthly income for rent. All tenant rental amounts are determined by our office and you must not pay more than what is indicated by this agency.

Additional Family Responsibilities?

  • The family must supply any information that our office determines is necessary in the administration of the program, including submission of required evidence of citizenship or eligible immigration status. Information includes any requested certification, release or other documentation.
  • Disclose and verify social security numbers and sign and submit consent forms for obtaining information.
  • Supply any information requested by our office to verify that the family is living in the unit or information related to family absence from the unit.
  • Notify our office in writing within 10 days if any family member no longer lives in the unit.
  • Notify our office in writing within 10 days when the family or a family member is away from the unit for an extended period of time (10 days or more) in accordance with policies.
  • Notify our office and the owner in writing before moving out of the unit or terminating the lease.
  • Allow our office to inspect the unit at reasonable times and after reasonable notice. Two missed appointments for inspection are considered a breach of this family responsibility.
  • Use the assisted unit for residence by the family. The unit must be the family’s only residence.
  • Notify our office in writing within 10 days of the birth, adoption, or court-awarded custody of a child.
  • Request to our office for written approval to add any other family member as an occupant of the unit (should receive landlord’s permission first). Additional family members must not move in to the unit until approved by the Housing Authority.
  • Give our office a copy of all notices including any owner eviction notice within 10 days of receipt.
  • Pay utility bills and supply appliances that the owner is not required to supply under the lease.

The Family (Including Each Family Member) Must NOT:

  • Own or have any interest in the unit (other than in a cooperative, or the owner of a manufactured home leasing a manufactured home space).
  • Commit any serious or repeated violations of the lease. (IE: non-payment or late payment of rent, poor housekeeping, disturbing the peaceful enjoyment of neighbors etc.)
  • Commit fraud, or bribery or any other corrupt or criminal act in connection with the program.
  • Participate in illegal drug or violent criminal activity.
  • Sublease or let the unit or assign the lease or transfer the unit.
  • Receive Housing Choice Programs tenant-based housing assistance while receiving another housing subsidy, for the same unit or a different unit under any other Federal, State or Local housing assistance program.
  • Damage the unit or premises (other than damage from ordinary wear and tear) or permit any guest to damage the unit or premises.
  • Engage in threatening, abusive or violent behavior toward any Saratoga County Rural Preservation personnel.
  • Be related to the landlord (owner). The landlord cannot be the parent, child, grandparent, grandchild, sister or brother, in-law of any type or of any member of the participating family, including minors. The only exemption that may be approved by our office is if a family member is a person with disabilities.
  • Engage in illegal use of a controlled substance; or abuse of alcohol that threatens the health and safety or right to peaceful enjoyment of the premises by other residents.

Important Sites for additional Information: